Camtasia is designed for beginners and pros who want to record and edit high-quality screen videos for tutorials, school lessons, and video communication in the workplace or at home. However, the screen recorder and video editor does come with a bit of a learning curve that, for beginners, could be a detractor.
If you want an alternative to Camtasia that’s easy to use, we are going to discuss our best 15. These screen recording software are readily available, some free and others offering free versions you can try out. Read on to see which fits your needs, budget, and skills!
Zight is a screen capture and screen recorder that comes with impeccable annotation tools and video editing features that don’t need a lot of learning to get started.
Unlike Camtasia, Zight offers a free version, which, compared to Camtasia’s 3-day free trial, is ideal for beginners and you if on a budget. In addition, it is pretty easy to install as long as you have an iOS device or a Mac or Windows computer. Even better, you can get the Chrome extension that allows you to create screen media as you work!
To get Zight, click Download Now For Free from the official website, and you’ll be prompted to create an account, and then download the app version for your device. You can sign up for any of these Zight plans:
- Free plan: Perfect for those quick, one-off projects. You can record videos for up to 5 minutes
- Pro plan ($9.95/month) for unlimited recordings for a solo user
- Team plan ($8.00/user/month) for your entire team
- Enterprise plan for larger organizations needing top-notch security and admin controls. Contact Zight for custom quotes
Here are more reasons why Zight is one of the best Camtasia alternatives out there:
Screenshots improve productivity, especially in remote work settings. Now, couple that with effective annotations, and you will quickly see why you don’t want to rely on native screen capture apps – or Camtasia! The latter is designed to record and edit videos, and taking a screenshot will require creativity and skill from you.
Rather than make a long phone call or write a boring email with instructions, you could just take a screenshot and annotate it to highlight your instructions.
On your Zight app, click Capture or Screenshot, select the area to capture, and, voila! Your screenshot will upload to the cloud where you can annotate and share it via a link.
2. Screen and Webcam Recording
When looking for a screen recorder that can outdo Camtasia, you must be looking for one that’s easy to use and gives you numerous recording options. And, that’s what Zight does.
With this tool, you can record your screen only, screen and webcam, or record webcam only. Plus, you can record an area of the screen or the full screen. You’ll be able to use your mic and camera, too!
- Training videos
- Explainer videos
- How-to videos
- Onboarding tutorials
- Pre-meeting videos
- PowerPoint presentations
- Marketing videos for your website
- Webcam videos
- Product demo videos
- YouTube videos
So, instead of leaving instructions in long bullets, you can just record a GIF with Zight and annotate it for even better results. And just like screen recording, you can record your GIF on full screen or select an area of the screen. However, you can’t use the mic, and will keep the recording within 60 seconds.
Just click GIF and select your recording preferences to get started.
4. Video and GIF Annotation
Even better, you can record and annotate videos at the same time. To do so, pause your recording and click the annotation button to show the annotation tools – arrow, line, pen, highlighter, ellipse, and rectangle. In addition, you can choose the color of your annotation, and even select how long the annotation will last (could be one second or four seconds)!
Once you finish annotating and recording, the video will upload to the cloud where you can use Zight’s video editing tools to improve it. More below!
5. Video Editing Software
Even after annotating your videos and GIFs, you can go ahead and polish them with Zight’s video editing tool. Here, you can crop, trim, finetune, add filters, cut sections, and split and merge sections.
If you want to collaborate with your teams, you can also allow comments and reactions, not to mention add custom branding to the video so it aligns with your video marketing strategies.
6. AI Features
You need AI features to enhance video content creation and management. Zight offers automatic transcription and captions, video titles, video summaries, and multilingual support for your transcriptions. With these, you can easily manage a large volume of video content.
7. Easy Sharing
After recording and editing content on your screen, the next thing is to share it with your colleagues or partners. It’s easy peasy with Zight, you only have to copy and paste the file’s shareable link to your recipient. This could mean embedding the video in your email or sending the link through apps like Slack, Trello, and more.
The best thing? Your recipient doesn’t even need to have a Zight account to view the file, and they don’t even have to download it. it will open seamlessly on their web browser. Here’s how to share large video files with Zight!
2. OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software)
OBS Studio is an open-source software – a robust alternative to Camtasia, especially if you prioritize live streaming and extensive customization. Unlike Camtasia, OBS is completely free, but it has a steeper learning curve which might be challenging for beginners.
- Real-time video/audio capturing and mixing
- Extensive customization through plugins and scripts
- Live streaming to platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook
- Scenes and sources setup for professional-grade production quality
- High-performance video recording in various formats
OBS Studio is entirely free, and its open-source nature allows for community-driven improvements and updates, ensuring the software stays relevant and powerful.
- High-quality screen recording, including retina display
- Intuitive video editing interface
- iOS recording for showcasing mobile applications
- Extensive library of transitions, animations, and freehand annotations
- Multi-track editing for video, audio, and images
ScreenFlow is available for a one-time purchase of $169. This includes the full suite of recording and editing features.
4. Wondershare DemoCreator
It’s a great Camtasia alternative if you want a balance between functionality and ease of use. However, you might find the interface less intuitive compared to Camtasia.
- Screen, webcam, and audio recording
- Full video editor with layers, effects, timeline, and text overlays
- Annotations, captions, and pan/zoom effects
- AI features
- Supports multiple file formats for export
- Live streaming capabilities
DemoCreator offers several pricing plans:
- Monthly Plan: $15/month
- Quarterly Plan: $29.99/quarter
- Perpetual Plan: $75 (one-time fee)
These plans cater to different user needs, from short-term projects to long-term use. The perpetual plan is a cost-effective option for those who need a reliable tool without recurring payments.
5. Bandicam Screen Recorder
Bandicam is a lightweight screen recording software for gaming known for its high-quality recording capabilities. It’s a solid alternative when you need efficient, high-performance recording, particularly in gaming contexts.
However, its video editing features are not as comprehensive as Camtasia’s, which might be a drawback if you need advanced editing tools.
- High-quality screen recording, including 4K UHD resolution
- Game recording mode with a high compression ratio
- Supports recording of external devices like webcams and Xbox/PlayStation
- Real-time drawing tools during recording
- Scheduled recording and mix your voice feature
You get a Bandicam free version that’s limited to 10 minutes per video with a watermark. The paid versions start at tarts from $33.26 per year for unlimited recording time and no watermark.
6. Movavi Screen Recorder
Movavi Screen Recorder is a user-friendly software that offers a balance between functionality and simplicity, making it a suitable Camtasia alternative if you prefer straightforward screen recording and basic video editing. Unfortunately, it may not offer the same depth of features, especially in advanced video editing.
- Easy-to-use screen recording for capturing webinars, online calls, and more
- Simultaneous screen and webcam recording
- Basic video editing tools for quick edits
- Supports scheduled recording
- Ability to capture audio separately or simultaneously with video
You can download the free Movavi Screen Recorder app for Mac and Windows, but it will come with some limitations. To enjoy all Movavi screen recording and video editing features, you can buy the pro version at $59.95 per year.
7. ScreenPal (Formerly Screen-O-Matic)
Screencast-O-Matic, now known as ScreenPal, is a comprehensive tool for screen recording and video editing for educators, businesses, and content creators. You’ll love the software if you need a more budget-friendly option with a focus on ease of use and collaborative features.
- Intuitive screen recorder and video editor
- Automated caption creation for accessibility
- Multi-track audio recording and editing
- Unlimited recording with the ability to publish anywhere
- Smart narration and voice-over tools
- Integration with top productivity tools
- Add animations and effects to enhance videos
You can get ScreenPal for free, but if you want more advanced features, pro plans start at $3/month, paid annually.
From the same company as Camtasia, Snagit is a screen capture and recording software that helps you create quick, clear visuals and videos. It’s a practical alternative to Camtasia for users who need a tool primarily for capturing and annotating screenshots, as well as creating straightforward instructional videos.
While SnagIt of easier to use, Camtasia is the better option for you if you need to create professional-looking recordings and videos. SnagIt has more limited editing tools.
- Advanced screen capture with panoramic scrolling capture
- Image editing with annotations, stamps, and effects
- Video recording from screen and webcam
- Audio recording from microphone and system audio
- GIF creation from video recordings
- Simplified video trimming capabilities
Snagit offers a single-user license priced at $62.99, which is a one-time fee. There are also discounted rates for educational institutions and government/non-profit organizations.
ActivePresenter is a versatile tool that combines screen recording, video editing, and eLearning authoring. It’s an excellent alternative to Camtasia for users who are focused on creating educational content and interactive eLearning courses. However, its interface might be less intuitive for beginners compared to Camtasia.
- Advanced screen recording with full motion recording and smart capture
- Powerful video editing tools for professional-quality videos
- eLearning authoring with quizzes, interactions, and branching scenarios
- HTML5 content creation for modern eLearning experiences
- Software simulation for creating interactive software tutorials
ActivePresenter offers a free version with basic features. The Standard Edition is priced at $199/license and focuses on video editing, while the Professional Edition costs $399/license, offering full eLearning authoring capabilities.
10. Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is a leading professional video editing software widely used in the film and television industry. It’s an ideal Camtasia alternative for users seeking advanced video editing capabilities, comprehensive toolsets, and integration with other Adobe Creative Cloud applications.
Unfortunately, its complexity and subscription-based pricing model may be less appealing for casual users or those with simpler editing needs.
- Advanced video editing with a multi-track timeline
- Integration with Adobe Creative Cloud services like After Effects and Photoshop
- VR editing capabilities
- Extensive range of video effects and transitions
- Support for a wide variety of video formats and codecs
- Collaborative workflows with Adobe Team Projects
You can get a free Adobe Adobe Premier Pro trial, and then pay $24.14/month for the Premiere Pro Single App, including 100GB of cloud storage, Adobe Fonts, and Adobe Portfolio.
11. AVS Video Editor
AVS Video Editor offers a range of features suitable for both beginners and intermediate users. It’s a viable Camtasia alternative when you need straightforward, user-friendly video editing software with a variety of effects and transitions.
- Supports over 150 formats for video editing
- More than 300 visual effects and transitions
- Color balance fine-tuning for enhanced video quality
- Video stabilization for shaky recordings
- Chroma key effect for green screen video production
AVS Video Editor comes at $49 a year – an affordable option for users seeking a cost-effective video editing solution.
EZVid is a free video editing and screen recording software that offers ease of use and straightforward functionality. It’s best when you are looking for a basic, no-cost solution for screen recording and simple video editing tasks.
- Simple and intuitive screen recording up to 30 fps
- Basic video editing tools including cutting, splicing, and speed control
- Built-in “one-click” screen capture and recording
- Voice recording, screen drawing, and webcam overlay capabilities
- Text-to-speech tool for narration
EZVid is completely free to use.
RecordScreen.io is your tool when you need a simple, no-installation solution for quick screen recording tasks. But, while it provides basic recording functionalities, it lacks the advanced editing features of Camtasia.
- Easy-to-use screen capture directly from the browser
- File sharing capabilities for easy distribution of recordings
- Basic video editing to make necessary changes
- Audio capture along with editing options
- Speech-to-text facility for converting spoken words into text
This software is free.
Loom offers simplicity when you need a quick and easy way to create and share video messages or tutorials. However, it may not offer the advanced editing features and multi-track editing capabilities found in Camtasia.
- Easy screen recording with webcam overlay
- Instant sharing of videos with a link
- Basic video editing tools like trimming
- Drawing tool and mouse emphasis for highlighting key points
- Custom video thumbnails and the ability to add buttons, links, and CTAs
Loom offers a free plan with limited access to 25 videos, while paid subscriptions start at $12.50 per creator per month for unlimited videos and additional features.
ScreenRec is a lightweight tool that is ideal for quick and efficient video capture and sharing when you want a straightforward, no-frills screen recording solution.
- Can record computer audio, voice, and webcam
- Instant sharing with private video messages and screenshots
- Lightweight software ensuring minimal system lag
- Cloud recording technology for easy access and sharing
ScreenRec is completely free to use.
We have now explored the top Camtasia alternatives with unique features and pricing models to suit your needs. While Camtasia is a powerful tool in its own right, these alternatives provide various benefits, from advanced editing capabilities to budget-friendly or even free options.
Click here to get started with Zight today!